Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The pill debate


When the birth control pill was introduced back in the early 1960's it gave women a sense of freedom.
We were finally able to call the shots on when we wanted to have our families.
Since it's introduction it has been prescribed to woman all over the world as a means to fix excruciating period pain, regulate otherwise erratic cycles, improve acne, and assist in the symptoms of illnesses including endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
It was the miracle women were looking for.
It wasn't until years later however that the side effects of the pill became apparent to many of us. Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), stroke, heart attack, migraines, depression and low libido. Thanks to medical advice however, the positive effects outweighed the bad.

I went on the pill when I was around 16. I had suffered from irregular cycles (sometimes going almost a year without a period) and when they did come, they were horribly painful. At the time, the only option appeared to be going on the pill. I remained on it for many years, having a short break from it when I was around 21. Around that time, I got sick. After months of not knowing what was wrong with me I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, and, only months later, polycystic ovaries. So I was advised to go back on the pill and over the next few months it yet again helped to mask the symptoms of my illnesses.

A few years later, in my late twenties, I decided to take a break from the pill. I knew that it felt abnormal to be on it for so long but I had always read about the positives of being on it. I had no idea the ill effects it was in fact having on my body.

It took me a while to get a regular cycle back. The funny thing was that all along my lengthy cycles were due to my illnesses, something that was fixed with medication for my thyroid.
Although I now have regular cycles, I still suffer from painful periods but instead of falling for the quick-fix-it that is the pill, I am trying alternatives to fix the problem, rather than just masking it.

Last week Nat from The Pagoda Tree posted a very interesting piece on the pill and her side of the debate. Nat is a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner and Acupuncturist. She sees women on a daily basis who are facing fertility issues. The pill is something Nat feels very passionately about and she will be talking more about it on her blog.

Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that to pill is of great benefit to many women out there who suffer from painful periods and other illnesses as mentioned above. In my opinion however, it is not a long term solution. It's highly unlikely that if you have gone on the pill in the first place for pain, acne or irregularity, these issues will simply be gone when you come off it. We are purely masking the problem, or, as Nat has put it, putting a massive band-aid over the uterus and leaving it there until it's time to have babies!

Where do you stand on the pill? I would love to know your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I too had medical problems after using the pill. My body thought I was in fact pregnant. I could even produce breast milk. It was a long journey but two beautiful babies later I am glad not to be at that stage of my life again. It was hard and there is no way I would go on it again, but at the same time it served a purpose. I think the options are better now, as this is 14 years on. The pill is in my opinion a drug screwing with a woman's body. I would never recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...