Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why bananas aren't the bad guy I once thought they were


Back in my low-carb dieting days I avoided foods like potatoes, rice, pasta and bananas like the plague. In a way, my opinion of these foods was forever tainted. I would fear that too much of them would lead to weight gain, and so for a long time I avoided them altogether.

Now, I’m not saying that I’ve had a sudden change of heart and now I live on these foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have however learnt to enjoy them in moderation. And I know what my body likes and what it doesn’t. Take pasta for example. Regular pasta makes me feel bloated, where as gluten free isn't so bad. So when I do have a craving for some pasta I simply choose the right type.

There was one food on the no-go list that I found sat really oddly with me when I started to cut them out. Bananas.
Sure, they are higher in sugar than some other fruits, but they’re fruit - surely they can’t be that bad, right?   

Well, like anything we eat, of course you don’t want to eat 10 bananas each and every day. But, stealing an old saying from the trusty apple - a ‘nana a day keeps the doctor away!

Bananas are super rich in potassium. Potassium is key when it comes to building muscle, preventing fluid retention, regulating blood pressure and aiding in heart and kidney function. Not only that but they are awesome at filling you up! Research shows that just 2 bananas alone provide enough fuel for a strenuous 90 minute workout!

Bananas are also high in iron (good for those who are prone to suffering from anaemia), high in fibre (helping to keep you regular), and help to beat depression (that’s because they contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier).

Not only that but they are a great addition to your morning smoothie, and they make a great sweet-alternative to reaching for that chocky bar!

I loooove them (if you can't already tell!) and I don't think I'll be going back to my old opinion of them now I know just how many health benefits they have!

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting, I wonder if they are good for teenagers and mood swings since they are good for depression? Thanks lovey, I' ll have to look into that one as I'm sure I need all the help I can get in a few years with two teenage daughters. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha not sure about that but you could always give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...