Wednesday, April 13, 2011

DIY deodorant


Over the weekend I posted about making my own skin care products.

First up was my own deodorant.

I had been using Soapwalla Kitchen's Deodorant Cream for a few months and while I really loved the stuff, I had found my underarms were getting irritated and red, even when I hadn't shaved before using it.
I had read that it's possible that cornflour/cornstarch can cause yeast infections under the arms when used in deodorants so that was one thing I was keen to take out.

So I thought I would give it a go myself. And this time I would use as few ingredients as possible and go from there, adding others if need be. Here's what I put in:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
4-6 tablespoons coconut oil (enough to make a thick paste) 
10 drops tea tree essential oil

Just combine the dry ingredients, stir in the coconut oil with a fork (best to do when the coconut oil is in liquid form) and then add the tea tree oil in at the end and stir. You could also use other essential oils, I just like the fresh smell of the tea tree but next time I might try grapefruit or lavender.






So what was the result?
Well, I've been using it for just over a week now and so far so good.
I like that it's smooth going on and the coconut oil feels like it adds moisture to my underarms. It's quite thick to get out of the container, especially with the cold Melbourne mornings we've been having lately, but once it goes on to your skin it melts in really well. Smell-wise I feel as though it's doing it's job so far. In the midst of a heatwave may be another story, but for now I'll keep using it and see how I go.
I love that all up it cost hardly anything and was super easy to make!

Have you tried making your own deodorant before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...