Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sweet weekend - do you DIY?


I have to say that over the past few months, ever since going clean with my skin care products, I have spent a tidy little sum of money on new moisturisers, cleansers, hair care products and make-up. It has become my new shopping addiction. And while I'm doing something good for my body, my bank account isn't too happy with me.

So I thought I would start looking into a bit of DIY skin care. I mean, many of the products I have been using have a handful of ingredients (the fewer the better in my opinion), all of which are natural and don't need a science lab to melt and cook and freeze them together. So, how hard can it be, right?

I'm not kidding myself here, I'm not going to be mixing my own foundation, bronzer and mascara, I'm talking about the basics. If I can find a way to make most of my own skin care, not only will I be doing my bank account a favour, but I will know exactly what's going into my products and I can alter them to suit my skin and what it needs.

So stay tuned as over the coming weeks and months (hell, it may take me years!) I'm going to be posting my good, and not-so-good attempts at making my own skin care.

First up will be my own deodorant which I will be posting about next week.

Happy weekend all! x

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I kinda DIY. Cosmetic - wise I found that even if in theory it's supposed to be budget-friendly, the DIY initiative can be tricky and make you spend more (think that most of the diy cosmetics won't last you longer than 1mnth, some even less. So, naturally, you have to restock) and then you want to try this, try that and end up with a counter filled with oils and butters and so many ways to combine them (but with a considerable smaller budget, comparing to classic cosmetics).

    Also another thing I picked up while DIY and going green: you have to give your body time to get used to this and that product. And sometimes, it doesn't go as planned or hoped. I still have a scalp problem I developed while getting rid'o my usual shampoo and conditioner... I still haven't figured it out so I might stop the DIY and go for something more specialized like Aveda.

    One more thing - DIY is as creative as it gets. So you need to be relaxed and open minded to do it. Consider every lotion like a new painting and treasure each second you spend diy like you were visiting a praised museum collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!
    Trying many new 'clean' products I have found that even though they are clean doesn't necessarily mean your body will love them straight away. Giving it time to readjust is really key isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...