Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cleaning things up

So after doing quite a bit of reading on just how 'dirty' the majority of make-up, skin and hair care products out there are and the effect they are having on our health I have made a decision to start to 'clean up' my bathroom cabinet.

Now when I say dirty I don't mean collecting dust in the cupboard for years or covered in sunscreen from the tube that leaked a couple of months ago in your bag. I mean riddled with chemicals - poisons!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no underarm hair-growing, bra-less hippy. I do however care about what I put in my mouth and therefore I should care about what goes on my skin. I mean, skin is our largest organ and all of those chemicals we're layering on to stop wrinkles or smooth out fly-aways are being absorbed straight into our bodies. In fact did you know that putting chemicals on your skin is actually worse than ingesting them? When you put something in your mouth the enzymes in your saliva break them down but when you put something onto your skin it in fact gets absorbed directly!

Ok, before you freak out and bin everything that has ingredients too difficult to even pronounce let's just take a breath.
If you're anything like me, there's no way you could afford to replace everything you use all at once. I mean I am a product junkie! I love make-up, skin and hair care and I would hate to think how much I have spent on products in the past...
The trick here is to start to get informed and take it one step at a time.
That's what I'm going to do anyway.

So how do I get informed you ask?
Well there's loads of resources online as well as books to help guide you through cleaning up your cabinet.
I have just purchased a great book written by two girls based in the US who were exactly like you and I,  until they discovered the multitude of nasties hiding in our daily creams, lotions and potions.
No More Dirty Looks is written by Siobhan O'Connor and Alexandra Spunt and looks into the truth about your beauty products. They give some easy to read info on what to look out for and great recommendations on products out there that are the clean alternative. Check out their blog too.
Another couple of great websites to check out are Safe Cosmetics and Good Guide.

So I'm sure you'll be hearing lots more from me in the months to come on my journey to clean up my skincare and make-up.

I would love to hear from you about your thoughts on clean make-up and skincare.

2 comments:

  1. I gave up makeup few years back (four years, to be more exact) except for mascara and concealer. I'm still working on getting an organic, skin - friendly concealer. Haven't decided which one works better.

    I recently gave up my usual chemicals stuffed shampoo and conditioner routine. And my hair feels liberated. And it looks far better.

    One thing I could never give up, however, is my deodorant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried RMS Beauty Un Cover-Up? I have just started using it and have found it works great as both concealer and/or foundation. Doesn't get that caked-on look and blends really well.
    Deodorant was a hard one for me too. I have only recently started using Soapwalla Kitchen Deodorant Cream and so far so good! Although I still have doubts I'll ever find one that works as well as the good old chemical ridden ones...

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...