Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thought for today

Ok, now I don't want to go too much into the whole Oprah phenomenon thing because I'm sure we've all well and truly had more than our fair share of her over the past couple of weeks...

One thing however that I would like to share with you is something that I read on Sarah Wilson's blog this morning that was mentioned at yesterday's screening of the Oprah show. After the cameras stopped rolling Oprah mentioned something to the audience that had an effect on Sarah and has really resonated with me as well.

“Live your life on purpose”

It's funny this post came along when it did for me. I had actually planned on writing an entry on 'living in the moment' in the next few days and then bam, along came this! Funny how things work like that...

Living your life on purpose is adding significance to everything you do, living in the now and treasuring each and every moment that we are given. Tell those you love what is on your mind, do things with passion and meaning.

The best way for me to describe this is imagine you are in a kayak, paddling downstream, heading towards your destination.  Along the way you come across strong currents pulling you in a certain direction, twigs poking out from the banks of the river and rocks blocking your path.
What many of us find we end up doing is sitting back and watching the trees and houses on the shore go by, going with the flow.
But what happens when we come across one of these obstacles? Do we just sit there, not paying attention to where we are being taken? Or do we use our paddle to steer the kayak in the direction we want to head?  
For me, I know that more often than not I just sit back and see where things take me, I find I just go along with life, wishing away the days and counting down to the next day off work.

So thanks to this reality check I am going to make sure I really think today. I am going to be grateful for today, I am going to add some sort of meaning to everything I do. And hopefully, this will be something that will stay with me so that the next time Monday rolls around I wake up looking forward to another day at work, a chance for me to achieve something and make something of my day.

What will you do today to live your life on purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...