Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The search for a clean (and effective!) deodorant

When I decided to start ditching the dirty, chemical ridden products in my bathroom cabinet the very first product I popped in the bin was my deodorant.
I was still using a well known brand that worked really well and smelt gorgeous, yet I had no idea what was actually hidden in this little package.

In most deodorants sitting on our supermarket shelves you will find nasties like aluminium which has been linked to Alzheimer's disease and Breast Cancer.
You'll also see parabens on the hard to pronounce list of ingredients (often called methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben and isobutylparaben - try to say that 10 times quickly!)
Parabens can be found in pretty much everything we use on a daily basis from shampoos to foundations to mascaras to body lotions.  Although it appears nothing is set in stone just yet, there has been reason to link it to breast cancer, declining sperm counts and testicular cancer... Parabens have also been linked to skin irritations, dermatitis and rosacea.

So I jumped online and ordered a couple of deodorants to try out, one being Miessence Aroma Free Roll-On Unscented Deodorant and the other was Crystal Body Deodorant.

The Miessence arrived first in the mail so that was first in the firing line. Initially I was quite hesitant as there was no smell at all. After two days giving it a go I must say that I really wasn't impressed.
By the end of the day I felt as though I had totally forgotten to put any deodorant on at all that morning. I also found I developed a bit of an allergic reaction on my underarms. Nothing serious but I got a bit of a rash and it felt a little uncomfortable.
I was pretty disappointed as this one was an Australian brand and not only was it a good price but it was easy to order online and arrived only a couple of days after I ordered it. Not only that, Miessence have a brilliant range of products, many with an overall rating over 8 on the Good Guide website.
Nevertheless, while I will give some of their other products a go, their deodorant I'm afraid I'm going to have to bin.

So next I moved onto the Crystal Body Deodorant. This was a little more tricky to buy as it's not an Australian company. I ended up buying mine on ebay but since then I have found an Australian supplier who stocks them online.
As with the Miessence deodorant this one is also unscented so I went in with a little hesitation (and a back-up chemical-ridden roll stashed in the bottom of my handbag just in case!)
In the first couple of days this one was working ok. Better than the Miessence but still not as good as my old one.
Then after a couple of days it seemed to be getting better. Under normal conditions (no heavy exercise and no extreme humidity) I found I was still fresh at the end of the day.
I did however find that if I included some heavy exercise in my day or if the temperature was a bit on the hot side it didn't get me through the day odour free.

So a couple of weeks on and I am super satisfied with the Crystal deo and I will continue to keep using it.  I am however still in search for a more long-lasting, stronger one that will get me through the warmer weather.
I will be sure to keep you updated!

Do you use natural deodorants? What's your fave?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...