Thursday, March 3, 2011

Getting off the diet merry-go-round


This week I've been thinking a lot about all the diets I have come across in the past.

From ones that work initially, to ones that work and then fail when it comes to keeping the weight off, to ones that are a total flop from the get-go.

The amount of diets I have been on in the past I can barely count on both my hands. I have had little to no success with most, and good success with only a couple.

Although I have found success in low carb eating (not the extreme Atkins style ones, but more like the meal replacement with added veggies and protein type ones) I know that this isn't for everyone.
While I lost a great deal of weight eating this way (and kept the majority of it off) I know of many that simply hated this way of eating and have found more success with other programs like Weight Watchers or Lite n Easy.

You see the thing is that even though I have a serious dieting history, I really hate the idea of diets.

When people think of diets, the first thing many of us think of is going without. Whether it be low fat, low calorie, or low carb. 'Low' is the key word here. Or even 'no' in many instances.
Restricting foods and teaching us that it's bad to eat certain foods can be really quite damaging for us long term.
Cutting out foods can lead to binges and feelings of low self esteem when we mess up.

This year I have turned over a new leaf and I am trying to be 'healthy'. I don't want to restrict myself anymore. I want to nourish myself with good food and listen to my body to see what it's telling me it needs.
I'm trying to limit things like sugar (or actually, cutting it out of my diet totally - more on this soon), and eating more good fats, proteins and raw veggies. But I'm not thinking of it this time as 'going without', I'm simply feeding my body what it works best on and avoiding the food that makes me sluggish and flat.
I am going to have to call on my strong willpower again here. But this time it will be to stay away from negative thoughts about my body and why I feel I need to go on yet another diet.

One step at a time hey? :)

What's your thoughts on dieting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...