Friday, March 11, 2011

Why I've quit sugar


I've always been a sweet-tooth. I would take chocolate over chips any day.
Afternoons are probably the worst time. Around that 3pm mark. The time when the work day feels like it's gone on forever and the sweet cravings creep in.

Carrying a couple of extra kilos than I'd like and, partially thanks to my AI disease, often battling with tiredness and a foggy mind (more on this later), I thought that maybe, just maybe, the problem may very well be sugar. I had cut back on carbs in the past and this worked well for me, but I wasn't a fan of cutting out such a large food group, and I didn't understand how this entire food group could be so bad for me.
Like many of you, my diet is pretty good. A while back I had made the decision to stop punishing my body with strict diets and depriving myself of certain foods. Instead, I chose to nurture my body and eat foods that were good for me and that made me feel great.
But you see, the thing was, even though I was still eating pretty well, there was something that wasn't quite right. I still felt sluggish and foggy, and my weight was not changing at all.

After being inspired by Sarah Wilson's post on how she was quitting sugar, I decided that this might be the thing to get me on track.
Sarah was reading a book called 'Sweet Poison' by David Gillespie, which explained just how bad sugar was for you, and how, by omitting it from your diet, you can not only drop the kilos but feel great at the same time.
Funnily enough I already had the book sitting on my bookshelf! Yep, I had been given it to read a few months back but it had become a dust collector, waiting ever so patiently for me to pick it up and give it a read.

So I got stuck into it. And I was pretty surprised by what the book told me. I had read so many books on dieting and healthy eating in the past, but this was some totally new info to me.
We all know that sugar is evil but did you know that certain types of sugar are better for you than others? And do you know how many items are in fact packed full of sugar without us even knowing? Here's a perfect example - BBQ sauce is over 50% sugar! Yep, crazy right?! Just because something falls into the savoury category of our cupboard, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's sugar-free. In fact, the majority of processed foods on the supermarket shelves have a certain amount of sugar in them.

Not only that, but I had always been a skinny milk, low-fat yoghurt kinda girl. But did you know that skinny milk and other low-fat products often have far more sugar in them than fat, and put simply, while many of us have been brought up thinking that fat makes is fat, this is incorrect! Yep, it's not fat that's the bad guy here, it's sugar!

Now, before I go on with more about how this all works and how sugar is making us fat (and tired), I'll leave you to precess what I have just told you, and to watch the below clip...



more on sugar and my journey soon....
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...