Monday, January 17, 2011

Breaking up with my fave lip balm...

Lucas' Paw Paw Ointment and I go way back... I used it on a regular basis (not only as my staple lip balm, but on cuts and burns mind you!) and I couldn't recommend it highly enough to my family and friends.

Then, the crushing blow came only a couple of months ago when I started finding out more about my beloved... it was pretty much all Petroleum Jelly.

What is Petroleum Jelly?
Also known as Petrolatum, it's the stuff used not only in Paw Paw Ointment but in Vaseline.
Basically Petroleum doesn't actually moisturise as it cannot penetrate the skin. It simply sits as a layer on top of your skin until it rubs off. Once it rubs off you will find your skin feels dry once again as nothing has actually penetrated the skin to moistuise it and so you re-apply once again... over and over again...

Not only does it really fail to do what it's meant to do (i.e. add moisture to the area when used as a lip balm), studies show that it may in fact contain cancer-causing contaminants. 
The thing is, in it's purest form, Petroleum is in fact quite safe. However, due to poor industry regulations, it's highly unlikely this is the case with many of the products out there on the market.

Sigh..... I hear you, I'm devo too....

So I could very well keep on using this, ignoring what I have read but that would just make my whole skincare clean-up a waste of my time.

If you decide to dump your Paw Paw too make sure you look for lip balms that contain all-natural plant based products made from natural oils like coconut and jojoba, and cocoa and shea butter.

So far I am in love with RMS Lip and Skin Balm and I don't mind Miessence Jaffa Lip Balm either.

Have you ever broken up with a much loved product before due to health concerns?

6 comments:

  1. Hi lovely! Try Lanolips. It is my love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Simmons Paw Paw? It is a 30g tube just like Luca's but contains more paw paw and no patroleum. I reccomend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, can't say I've heard of the Simmons one. Will have to check it out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try the range of lip balms by Burt's Bees. They are divine, smell gorgeous and feel so good on :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks char.
    Have heard of Burt's Bees before and I think they stock them in most pharmacies. Will keep my eye out!

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...