Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sweet Weekend - eating organic

Image - from my garden!

I'm a big believer in eating organic.
Now I'm not saying I eat 100% organic foods, I just try to where possible.
Fruit and vegetables that are nutrient rich, not sprayed with pesticides, and grown locally honestly makes me feel good about what I am putting in my mouth.

For all of you out there that are wanting to eat more organic fruit and veg, or for those who already eat organically, you would know that eating the organic way isn't exactly the cheap way.

Of course growing your own is a wonderful place to start, not to mention a great way to save money but it isn't necessarily for everyone. You need the room to plant your garden, not to mention the time to look after it.
So not into growing your own? Well another option is to buy organic foods where possible from local farmers markets, organic shops and online (oh, and sometimes you'll find bits and pieces at your local supermarket).

I have just started my own veggie patch and I'm hoping over the next few months I'll be munching on my very own veggies! For now I buy mine either online or from a little organic shop nearby.

Look - I grew a baby capsicum! :)

The thing I have found is that my food bills do increase when buying organic.

If you want to start buying organically but the extra cost involved makes you think twice, take a look at the below list off foods that are a good place to start. These veggies are most affected by pesticides and should always be bought organically. Plus, many people say they taste better when organic - which I personally think is the case for many organically grown foods!

Apples
Celery
Carrots
Strawberries
Capsicum
Potatoes
Kale
Lettuce
Nectarines
Grapes
Spinach

Some fruits and veggies like eggplant, banana, kiwi fruit, mango, pineapple and avocado aren't as important when it comes to buying organically, so if you find you're a little strapped for cash these can be put on your regular supermarket list.

Do you eat organic where possible? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...