Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New You?

It's that time of the year again.

After the champagne glasses are empty and the day-after-hangover hits, the reality of a brand new year ahead of us and the opportunity to 'start afresh' causes us to think.
Many of us chose the often-travelled road of quitting the fags, cutting the fat, upping the exercise or saving our dosh.

But more often than not many of us find the pressure we put ourselves under as soon as we wake up on the 1st Jan is an open invitation for failure.

Why do we feel like the start of a new year has to mean the start of a new you?
Of course it's not a bad thing to take the time to look at what we would like to change in our lives but I have found making massive changes like those mentioned above can often leave us with a tremendous amount of pressure that can more often than not lead us to cave and return to old ways.

A few years ago I used to smoke and on more than one occasion I used a brand new year to start a brand new non-smoking me. The thing is, after putting all that pressure on my 'new years resolution' I found I ended up caving within the weeks to follow.
Then, after a few 'quitting speed humps', one day I found that I was truly ready to kick my addiction and so I threw out the half-full packet of smokes in my handbag and have never looked back!
Ok, so it wasn't that easy... But I did it when the time was right, I did it when I was really ready and not when the calendar told me it was time.

Now this is not to say that I don't believe in new years resolutions, I think a fresh new start in a brand new year is a great thing! I just believe we shouldn't put ourselves under the pressure of changing our lives dramatically on the same day of the year that everyone else does.

If there's something that you've been truly wanting to change in your life why wait for new years?
A fresh start can start whenever you want it to!

Did you make a new years resolution this year? How is it going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...