Monday, January 31, 2011

Foods to avoid if you suffer from thyroid disease


Although it was around 8 years ago now that I was diagnosed with thyroid disease, it was not until only recently that I found out that there were certain types of foods that I should have been avoiding.

Anyone out there who suffers from TD would know a thing or two about goiters and how, if your thyroid levels are out of wack, you may be prone to developing one of these nasty looking things.

So when I came across goitrogen foods I was surpised I hadn't heard of them earlier.
Gointrogens are foods that decrease thyroid function. Especially in those who suffer from hypothyroism, they can in fact induce hypothyroidism and the goiters that are associated with it.

So what foods are we talking about here?
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard
Kale

Turnips
Canola Oil

SoyTofu
Turnips


Also included in the goitrogen category, even if mildly, are:
Bamboo Shoots
Millet
Peaches
Peanuts
Pears
Pine Nuts
Radishes
Spinach
Strawberries
Sweet Potatoes


Many are members of the 'brassica family'.

Now, before you freak out totally, as these are heat sensitive, cooking them can help minimise or inactivate the goitrogenic compounds. So if you can't stand the thought of giving up your faves then just make sure you cook them before you eat them. Also, keep in mind that if you do decide to eat them raw, keep it to an 'occasional' thing, and they probably won't affect you at all. They key word here is 'moderation'.

What's your thoughts? If you suffer from TD have you heard about goitrogens before?

1 comment:

  1. I take natural bovine thyroid supplements for two years and I am doing very well. In conjunction with the LDN, I have more energy that I have had in years.

    ReplyDelete

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...