Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sweet weekend - one for the chocolate lovers


I'm a total chocoholic.
I could eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of course I don't... Well, not recently anyway...
So I'm always a fan of any research that comes out giving me the thumbs up to this sweet addiction.

Now, I'm not talking about the sugar packed versions you see on your supermarket shelves. Don't get me wrong, I love a few good squares of Top Deck or a handful of m&m's.
But I'd be kidding myself if I actually thought I was getting any benefit whatsoever from this kind of stuff.
When I say chocolate that's good for you I'm talking about the dark, bitter, raw kind. In particular, lovingearth raw chocolate.

If you think you're going to get the same sugar hit with this stuff as you do with a block of Cadbury's then think again.
This stuff isn't exactly sweet, it's more bitter, and not the same creamy, soft texture as you get with the other stuff.
Now, it may not give you the same sugar rush, or taste as sickly sweet, but it's a different-kinda-good.

Yep, it might take some getting used to, but there are 3 main benefits that impress me about this stuff.
1/ It contains up to twice as many antioxidants as conventional chocolate.
2/ Instead of sugar it contains organic raw agave syrup (a natural, low GI sweetener). So that's what makes it so good for you!
3/ You only need 2 or 3 squares to give you the same sugar craving fix. Any more than this and you'll be feeling quite ill afterwards. Brilliant for those of us that find we can't stop at 'just a little' with normal chocolate. This is some rich stuff!

The only negative thing that I have to add here is exactly how much this stuff sets you back.
For a small block (45g - 6 squares) you're looking at around $4-$5... not on the cheap side, that's for sure.
But I suppose if you can make it last a week or so (which has been pretty easy for me to do having had 2 squares at a time, one week on and I still have 2 squares left in the packet) it ain't so bad...

Something to keep in mind when you get your next sugar craving perhaps?

Give it a go and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...