Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweet weekend - the importance of sleep


What better way to kick off a weekend than a good old fashioned sleep-in?

Ok, maybe not for those who get woken at 6am to the sound of little feet running down the hallway and then dive bombing you in bed. But for those who have the opportunity - go for it!

Over Christmas I had a 2 week break from work and instead of venturing to the beach or heading off on a road trip I slept. Yep, that's pretty much all I did. And it was wonderful!

You see I'm not one of those people that copes well on 5 or 6 hours a night. You know the type (and you may be one of them!), the ones who go out on a 'school night' and wake up feeling fresh and ready to go for the working day. Well, I'm not one of them.

I like my 8 hours minimum, and if I get less than that on a string of nights then I eventually crash.

Perhaps it has something to do with AI disease. I have found in the past few years I am relying more and more on the amount of shut eye I get on a daily basis.

But you know what, I'm onto a pretty good thing I reckon.

Sleep is just as important as maintaining a healthy lifestyle when you're awake. Eating well and exercising is one thing but without enough sleep you run the risk of increased stress levels, inflammation and other health issues. And did you know that a recent study conducted in Sweden shows that sleep can in fact make you look better! Hmmm... that's food for thought!

So what's the recommended amount of pillow time then? Well, while the exact amount can vary from person to person, aiming for at least 7-8 hours a night is a good place to start.
And another key thing to remember here is to aim for at least an hour or two before midnight if you can. The more sleep we get before the clock strikes 12 the better.

So this weekend how about catching up on some well earned z's?
Your body will love you for it!

Do you find you function better the more sleep you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...